Facebook Phone Faces An Uphill Battle In Emerging Markets
Parmy Olson, Forbes Staff
Tech 4/03/2013 @ 6:57PM
Facebook is gearing up to announce a big, new phone product tomorrow. We don’t know what it will look like, but this is already good news. Facebook needs a tighter integration with smartphones if it wants to grow. It has also reportedly paired up with Android and HTC, which suggests low-cost phones.
That’s more good news. Facebook needs momentum in emerging markets, where smartphone sales are advancing at breakneck speed. With expectations high, Facebook’s stock closed up 3.3% in New York today.
Move up http://i.forbesimg.com tMove down
Now comes the tough part.
Facebook has to establish stronger international partnerships with mobile operators and app developers if it truly wants to advance its mobile prospects in emerging markets.
Take India. The country has Facebook’s third largest user base with 62.6 million users in January 2013, still representing just 5.4% of the country’s population. Meanwhile smartphone shipments to India grew by 75% in the second half of 2012 from the first half, and the country is the second biggest market for the Android operating system.
Plenty of room to grow. Yet Facebook could struggle to shop a more deeply-embedded mobile service in emerging markets, where local apps born on mobile platforms dominate the landscape. These are apps like WhatsApp and Nimbuzz that are not popular, but already have all-important, complex relationships with local carriers and even mobile developers.
Nimbuzz is one of India’s most popular mobile messaging services, claiming 150 million global users, with more than 60% in Asia and the Middle East. Chief Executive Vikas Saxena says that Facebook’s Messenger service is “pretty basic” considering it doesn’t have the kind of educational apps, multimedia messaging, discounted calling and app marketplace that his platform has.
“We have apps that are relevant to local society,” says Saxena, citing dating apps, and Chatroulette-like apps that are popular in local culture and countries like Saudi Arabia where greater social restrictions exist for young people, particularly young women. By contrast, he says, “Facebook is known for known friends.”
Another advantage that Nimbuzz and other native mobile companies have in emerging markets is their relationships with mobile operators. With credit and debit card penetration low in India, smartphone users typically buy apps through their telco billing system.
For now if you buy an app on Facebook’s App Center through a smartphone, you’re sent to either Google Play or Apple’s App Store to make your purchase. It is unclear if Facebook’s new phone products will offer operator billing systems to make it easier for users in emerging markets to buy apps, and Facebook did not respond to a request for comment.
Nimbuzz, headquartered in India, has spent the last few years forming partnerships in India’s byzantine telecommunications industry, and has subscriber billing in place for the country’s eight big telco firms. India is divided into 22 geographic service areas, known as circles, and while some telco companies have centralized systems, others are decentralised so that each “circle” exists as a separate entity.
“You have to talk to each of them” says Saxena, who has at least 10 Nimbuzz staffers tasked full-time with maintaining telco partnerships. “Then you have Yemen, Pakistan, Nepal. It’s mind-boggling complexity.”
Nimbuzz is not the only messaging app busy forming partnerships with international mobile operators. Messaging giant WhatsApp, estimated to have between 200 and 300 million global users, has also partnered with more than 10 international operators in countries like Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong and Chile, to be packaged into data plans those operators sell. Partnerships between messaging services and the carriers whose business models they are disrupting might seem paradoxical, but they are growing according to Ovum, and happening most often in Asia Pacific.
Researchers at Analysys Mason say that Facebook needs to become more native on mobile if it wants user engagement to grow. They also say that engagement could increase six-fold for Facebook if the social network becomes the default communication platform for calling, messaging and email on smartphones.
But becoming “more native” means Facebook needs to establish clear billing systems in local markets, which means striking relationships with local carriers. It also needs to offer more compelling features than the messaging companies that are already dominating emerging markets, like WhatsApp, Nimbuzz and KakaoTalk.
According to Nielsen, WhatsApp Messenger is the most popular app in India, followed by Facebook,. Nimbuzz comes in fourth place, but Facebook Messenger, which seems key to Facebook’s mobile future with its real-time chat and forthcoming VoiP functionality, comes in at 6th.
Keeping up with the messaging companies alone is enough to explain why a Facebook phone has been rumoured to have been in the pipeline for so long – since at least 2011. The shift towards more permanency on mobile phones is crucial for Facebook, but it won’t be easy in emerging markets.
YouTube is filled with inspirational videos of all types, including those created by businesses or individuals looking to inspire others to succeed. Let’s look at 100 of the most inspiring business videos ever placed on this site.
Great Inspirational Tips for Business Success
Take a look at these cool business inspiration clips.
1. 9 Steps to Achieve Any Goal – Isn’t it great to know that you can make your business and personal dreams come true in nine steps?
2. ABCs of Success – A powerful strategy for personal and professional success.
3. Are You Going to Finish Strong? – Amazingly inspirational speech from an amazing man.
4. Biggest Business Mistake – Gain inspiration from this online marketer who wants you to learn from her biggest business mistake.
5. Business Ideas and Inspiration – Feel inspired by these business ideas and tips for ways to succeed.
6. How to Bring Inspiration into Your Business – Trusting your intuition to get the inspiration you need to make business decisions.
7. Life=Risk – This video highlights the risks some of the world’s greatest talents took to find amazing success.
8. Secret Formula for Business Success – A great video that explains a simple formula for business success that could motivate anyone to get up and moving.
9. The Power of Goal Setting – This video offers four great techniques on how to set goals for success in business.
10. Top 3 Lessons from Akio Morita – Check out tips from Evan Carmichael on how to find business success just like Sony founder Akio Morita.
11. Trusting the Path of Life – Explore why finding inspiration in business always requires trusting your life’s path.
12. Visualizing Riches – This quick clip from the DVD The Secret reminds us that we can achieve financial independence if we believe we can.
13. Wealth in Business – Great tips on how to become a wise business person while making a living following your passion.
14. When You Stop Dreaming You Stop Living – Great short motivational video on why it’s important to dream for what you want professionally and personally.
15. Why You Must Act on Business Inspirations – Video encourages you to act on those hunches you get in business that often turn into goldmines.
Home Business Inspiration
Starting a home business can be a scary prospect. Luckily these videos were created to provide you with the inspiration you need to get your start.
16. 3HourWorkDay.com – Awesome inspiration to create your own work-from-home business.
17. Business Money Inspiration – Money values from a young and successful home-based entrepreneur.
18. Exercise and Have More Success in Business – Online marketing entrepreneur inspires viewers to exercising, explaining why it can provide a successful business state of mind.
19. Finding New Business Ideas – Inspirational tips for prospective online home business entrepreneurs.
20. Finding Work from Home Inspiration – A man gives his inspiration for starting his home business. It may inspire you too!
21. Home Business Inspiration – This soothing video provides all of the inspirational quotes you need to start your home business.
22. How to Make Money Online – Feel inspired to make money online without being scammed after watching this informative video.
23. The Life of an Internet Marketer – Enjoy this uniquely-filmed video offering inspiration on starting a business as an Internet marketer.
24. Work at Home Business – If you’ve been thinking about starting your own work from home business, this video may just inspire you.
25. Secrets for Success – Finding inspiration in home business may require listening to these secrets.
26. Story of Inspiration for Online Businesses – If you’re looking for inspiration in starting your own home business check out this great video.
27. Young Entrepreneur – Get inspired by the success of 17-year-old young entrepreneur Christian Fioravanti who has had home business success for three years.
Humorous Business Inspiration
Sometimes a good laugh can be all the business inspiration you need, especially when that laugh is related to business!
28. Business Joke – If you’re in the middle of a business brain fart and need a break, this joke will perk you right up.
29. Conan O’Brien – This hilarious American Express commercial shows just how important the little details are in business.
30. Damn Funny Video Conference – Remember, when you’re primping for a business video conference, make sure no one can see you.
31. Drunk Business Meeting – Nothing like the drunk in the room to offer all the business insight you need. Pretty scary indeed.
32. FedEx Conference Call – Okay, this one is just funny–nothing more.
33. Finding Your Passion – Funny poem with quality inspirational advice for success.
34. Follow Your Dreams – Learn how to follow your dreams in business and beyond with this hilarious inspirational video.
35. Leadership Secrets from Santa Claus – This cute little video gives some great tips on how to become a business leader from Santa Claus.
36. Motivation? Do You Have Any? – Hilarious clip on ideas to consider if you’re lacking motivation.
37. No Excuses, No Regrets – A great video that focuses on leadership and success.
38. The Most Inspirational Thing Ever Said – If you’re about to make a business decision you might regret, just click on this video clip for what not to do.
Inspirational Business Quotes and Poems
Quick quotes, phrases, affirmations and poems that inspire success.
39. A Message for Big Dreamers – If you want to shoot for the stars in business and beyond, this video is a great watch!
40. Be Remarkable – This great video offers amazing inspirational quotes for business and beyond.
41. Create Your Best Year Ever – Steps to take to create your best year ever.
42. Don’t Quit – Great poem explaining why you should never give up on your dreams.
43. Dreams and Goals – Quotes to help you remember to always follow your dreams and push to achieve your goals.
44. Dreams are Whispers from the Soul – Great quotes and music giving tips on how to follow your dreams.
45. Inspiration for Success – Great affirmations to create the life and business you want.
46. Inspirational Quotes for Business People – Inspiring quotes for anyone looking to succeed in business.
47. Inspirational Words of Wisdom – Beautiful words of wisdom from legendary author Napoleon Hill to help you in business.
48. Life Success, Inspiration, Manifestation and Visualization – More great affirmations of success.
49. Keys to Great Success Affirmations – Reciting these affirmations could provide the inspiration you need to succeed.
50. Life is Life a Cup of Coffee – This is an amazing story for business owners who feel disconnected from their passion.
51. Success-Motivation-Inspiration – If you’re looking for success, motivation and inspiration in business, this is the video for you.
52. Very Inspirational! – Great business inspiration quotes.
Motivational Speakers and Keynote Addresses
Great speakers with the gift of motivating success in business and life.
53. Andrew Barden – Gain inspiration and learn specific small business marketing strategies from this business trainer.
54. Andrew Smith – Great business inspiration from this entrepreneur.
55. Andy Cohen – Funny motivational speech that discusses how magic in business creates success.
56. Art Williams – His “Just Do It” speech is inspiring enough to make anyone want to push for their business ambitions.
57. Dean Lindsay – Humorous keynote address at SPEAK! Conference from author Dean Lindsay on finding success in business.
58. Garrison Wynn – Funny, insightful keynote from business relationship expert Garrison Wynn.
59. Jack Canfield – Author of Chicken Soup for the Soul offers four amazing tips to inspire you toward wealth and success in business and life.
60. John Bell – Find great business inspiration from this impressive motivational speaker.
61. Mike Schlappi – Motivational speaker and top disabled athlete, Schlappi offers encouragement in business and life.
62. Oprah Winfrey – Talk about inspiration! Oprah Winfrey, the queen of business, offered a heartfelt keynote address to Stanford graduates.
63. President Barack Obama – Parts of President Barack Obama’s inspirational keynote address to students at Arizona State University.
64. Randy Pausch – Amazing inspirational final lecture from Carnegie Mellon University Professor Randy Pausch before he died in 2008.
65. Richard Branson – You can’t claim to have received real business inspiration until you get some from business guru Richard Branson.
66. Steve Jobs – This great speech by Steve Jobs encourages young graduates to stay hungry and foolish while they hone in on professional aspirations and follow their passions.
67. Tony Robbins – This speech title “What is an Extraordinary Life?” looks at how you define your personal and professional life.
68. Wally “Famous” Amos – Great speech by the founder of Famous Amos Cookies and father of the gourmet cookie industry.
Pop Culture Inspiration
Clips from pop culture that have done a great job of motivating entrepreneurs.
69. 40 Inspirational Speeches – 40 great inspirational speeches in movies that can motivate any prospective entrepreneur–and it’s all crammed into 2 minutes!
70. Amazing is Belief – Sports fanatics and business hopefuls could appreciate this high-energy inspirational ad for the 2010 NBA Playoffs.
71. Any Given Sunday Speech – While this speech isn’t specifically business-related, it inspires you to fight through your challenges inch-by-inch.
72. Evolve – This popular Gatorade commercial teaches us that we must constantly evolve in order to achieve greatness.
73. Failure – This Michael Jordan Nike ad reminds us that even though the best fail, it is these failures that push them to succeed.
74. Failure: The Secret to Success – This Honda commercial showcases a number of clips from individuals who used their failure to find success.
75. Money Making – Will Smith offers inspiration and tips on how to find success and make money in business and beyond.
76. Protect Your Dreams – Great inspirational talk given by Chris Gardner (played by Will Smith) to his son in the movie The Pursuit of Happyness.
77. Rocky Balboa Speech – Rocky gives his son a powerful speech about how to win and find success.
78. What Do You Get Up For? – Cool Nike ad that reminds you that following your passions should get you up in the morning.
Nothing like a success story to show you what others have accomplished–and just what you’re capable of.
79. 14-Year-Old Millionaire – At the age of 14, Farrah Gray, born and raised in a housing project in Chicago, became a self-made millionaire. Truly inspiring!
80. Bill and Dave – Recap of the remarkable success story of Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard.
81. Inspirational Business Stories – Brief video of business owners who have found success.
82. International Success Stories – The brief story of successful international health food product company, Innocent.
83. Most Inspirational and Motivational Video Ever – If this guy can find multi-million dollar success after bankruptcy, you can find success too!
84. My Bathroom Buddy – Great story from the founder of the successful eBay business, My Bathroom Buddy.
85. New Zealand Fresh Cuts – Sometimes inspiration requires hearing the story of someone who found great success before you.
86. Real Life Success Stories – A compilation of success stories from business owners who now earn six and seven figures.
87. Small Business Success Stories – These stories prove that starting your own succesful small business is possible.
88. Sweet Treats Entrepreneurial Success – Learn how a fun hobby turned into a successful business.
89. Teen Millionaires – If these teen millionaires can’t inspire you in business, no one can!
90. Third World Small Business Startups – You don’t have to be from a developed country to find success in business.
91. Young Millionaires Share Their Secrets – Another great inspiration video from young entrepreneurs who have successfully made millions.
Women in Business Inspiration
Women looking for business inspiration can visit these videos for the motivation the need.
92. Feminine Energy and Success in Business – Woman business owner talks about how collaboration and feminine energy create business success.
93. Inspiring Video for Women Entrepreneurs – Inspiring video clips and phrases from the Women Entrepreneurs Rock the World Event.
94. Million Dollar Mom – This mom started her own million-dollar business–an inspiration for any woman.
96. Welfare to Millionaire – She went from welfare to becoming a millionaire–maybe she will inspire you to do the same!
97. Why We Ladies Rock – This network marketing video shows just why ladies are dynamic and able to succeed in business. Very inspiring!
98. Woman, Thy Name is Entrepreneur – Amazingly inspiring video on the evolving perceptions of women in business.
100. Yoga Stress Relief – Learn to relieve stress with these women to energize and inspire your business efforts.
All these “100 of the Most Inspiring Business Videos on YouTube” taken from http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1rA169
January 29, 2013
Before You Write Anything, Know Your Readers
Adapted from the HBR Guide to Better Business Writing.
Starting a business involves planning, making key financial decisions and completing a series of legal activities. These 10 easy steps can help you plan, prepare and manage your business. Click on the links to learn more.
Use these tools and resources to create a business plan. This written guide will help you map out how you will start and run your business successfully.
Take advantage of free training and counseling services, from preparing a business plan and securing financing, to expanding or relocating a business.
Get advice on how to select a customer-friendly location and comply with zoning laws.
Find government backed loans, venture capital and research grants to help you get started.
Decide which form of ownership is best for you: sole proprietorship, partnership, Limited Liability Company (LLC), corporation, S corporation, nonprofit or cooperative.
Register your business name with your state government.
Learn which tax identification number you’ll need to obtain from the IRS and your state revenue agency.
Register with your state to obtain a tax identification number, workers’ compensation, unemployment and disability insurance.
Get a list of federal, state and local licenses and permits required for your business.
Learn the legal steps you need to take to hire employees.
From HBR’s 11 Most Popular Blog Posts of 2011
Nine Things Successful People Do Differently
by Heidi Grant Halvorson
Talent plays only a tiny role in your success; what really matters is what you do. This post has stayed on our most popular list for months.
1. Get specific. When you set yourself a goal, try to be as specific as possible. “Lose 5 pounds” is a better goal than “lose some weight,”
2. Seize the moment to act on your goals. Given how busy most of us are, and how many goals we are juggling at once, it’s not surprising that we routinely miss opportunities to act on a goal because we simply fail to notice them.
3. Know exactly how far you have left to go. Achieving any goal also requires honest and regular monitoring of your progress
4. Be a realistic optimist. When you are setting a goal, by all means engage in lots of positive thinking about how likely you are to achieve it.
5. Focus on getting better, rather than being good. Believing you have the ability to reach your goals is important, but so is believing you can get the ability.
6. Have grit. Grit is a willingness to commit to long-term goals, and to persist in the face of difficulty.
7. Build your willpower muscle. Your self-control “muscle” is just like the other muscles in your body — when it doesn’t get much exercise, it becomes weaker over time.
8. Don’t tempt fate. No matter how strong your willpower muscle becomes, it’s important to always respect the fact that it is limited, and if you overtax it you will temporarily run out of steam.
9. Focus on what you will do, not what you won’t do. Do you want to successfully lose weight, quit smoking, or put a lid on your bad temper?
Heidi Grant Halvorson, Ph.D. is a motivational psychologist, and author of the new book Succeed: How We Can Reach Our Goals (Hudson Street Press, 2011). She is also an expert blogger on motivation and leadership for Fast Company and Psychology Today. Her personal blog, The Science of Success, can be found at www.heidigranthalvorson.com. Follow her on Twitter @hghalvorson
For the Full article Click: http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2011/02/nine_things_successful_people.html